You can’t do a blindline with a mouse

I was just pondering submitting bugs to Dojo, and mailing questions in to the mailing list.  Quite a lot of noise there.  Probably best just to track my own version for now.  Although the wrong-way-round axis label on the Y axis of charting does bug me.

It seems a cough is working its way through our family.  I guess I’m next

We were discussing driver behavior and perception of safety today.  I think there is something interesting there.

I hate the sound of my voice recorded.  I mutter and mumble and swallow words.  But reading One Fish Two Fish tonight I was enunciating just fine and using great characterization.  Too bad lectures in powerpoint aren’t written by Dr. Seuss.

And finally, I was going to upload a blindline of my desk, but too lazy to fire up the scanner.  So I tried it in the Gimp.  I thought for sure that if I just made the window really big it would work fine—the mouse movements would be slow enough to be realistic.  Horrors!  First off the line is a constant chunky black blockiness.  I didn’t realize until I tried that I actually concentrate on the point of the pencil (or pen or crayon or whatever), not just the line.  So, so, so what, big deal.  I’ll try anything.  So I soldiered on, drawing my mug.  I did make a concession and bump the opacity down several notches, but no real difference.  Then my line moved off the screen edge, and instead of scrolling slowly, the screen window jetted down, and so did my line.  Oops.  Cntrl-Q, don’t save, don’t do that ever again.

Off to my oil crayons from Holland.

why Rose:: ?

I was looking for a recent HTML tag scrubber on CPAN, when I came across Rose::HTML::Objects and its friends and relations. It seems Rose::DB::Object came first. I’ve happily switched from Class::DBI to DBIx::Class, and now I’m wondering, why Rose::DB::Object? Then I saw the speed tests. It seems quite the speed dæmon.

So fine, it looks great.  But I don’t think I want to learn yet another database to object abstraction library.  But I probably will use it in a project soon just to see what it can do.

But back to the HTML stuff.  Now I’ve also been using Dojo and Prototype and Scriptaculous and all that Ajaj stuff (I never use xml, and if I use the X I’ll show up in some search engine for sure).  But Rose::HTML::Objects::Form::Field looks like it is going to complain if I try to stuff Dojo-style attributes into it.  So I did a quick search, and the only things that pop up with Dojo and Rose are CPAN uploads logs.  So here is a page with Rose::HTML and Dojo.  I can’t merge them yet, but I plan to soon.  Oddly enough, since I am not going to learn another DBI abstraction layer, I am also probably going to shove Rose::HTML::Objects into DBIx::Class::Schema (or rather, vice versa) and put the whole schebang in Catalyst.

It should work out okay.  My approach to coding up forms these days is to have small scripts to listen to pieces of the whole page.  Rose::HTML::Objects::Form says that it likes to abstract the form into a thing, so for example, a person.  So a bit of Javascript on the client to fire off requests when a “person” is changed, or parts thereof, will hit a server method that will manipulate the person object and return the person object.  I do that anyway, but perhaps this will give me a little more structured, tested formalism to use.

Then again, it could be just another two weeks of my life on a pointless sidetrack.