Non-obvious fix to a dzil problem

Last Friday I decided to skip trying to use node.js to parse spreadsheet files and instead stick with my existing perl solution based on Spreadsheet::Read. Because the code was really old, I had no proper tests, so I just started over from scratch. Poking around Modern Perl 2014 I found a note about using dzil to setup packages.

So I followed along with the choose-your-own-adventure style documentation at http://dzil.org/tutorial/start.html and had good success with setting things up. I rewrote my old code using Moose and immutable state and all that great stuff, and wrote pretty thorough test coverage of the various conditions and edge cases I can think of at the moment.

All was going well until I tried to set up the [AutoPrereqs] plugin.
When asked to compute the dependencies automatically, dzil choked on my binary spreadsheet files stored in the ./t/files directory:

ParseStatusSpreadsheeets[master]$ dzil listdeps
Could not decode UTF-8 t/files/07-2009.xls; filename set by GatherDir 
(Dist::Zilla::Plugin::GatherDir line 215); encoded_content added by 
GatherDir (Dist::Zilla::Plugin::GatherDir line 216); error was: utf8 
"xD0" does not map to Unicode at /usr/lib64/perl5/Encode.pm line 176.

I can easily set the [Prereqs] configuration to list my dependencies manually, but I wanted to do it automatically. I couldn’t believe I was the only person to have binary files mucking up the AutoPrereqs plugin, but the documentation was not helpful at all. The only hints given were to use a custom FileFinder (), but no help on what exactly a FileFinder was or how to set one up in the config file.

Eventually I searched for “binary file” in the Github issues, and found this old bug: https://github.com/rjbs/Dist-Zilla/issues/407. The solution I found there is to tell dzil to ignore files as being binary by listing them in the config file. In my case, that fix works out to be:

[Encoding]
encoding = bytes
match    = xls    ; these are all spreadsheet test files

[AutoPrereqs]

(Another thing not mentioned in the dzil docs is that when they say that “match” is a regex, they don’t mean that you should write match = /xls/i because that won’t work! The config file isn’t perl, it is text that gets manipulated by perl.)

Anyway, with that fix to my dist.ini file, the AutoPrereqs plugin works as expected:

ParseStatusSpreadsheeets[master]$ dzil listdeps
Carp
Data::Dumper
DateTime::Format::DateParse
DateTime::Format::Pg
ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Moose
namespace::autoclean
Spreadsheet::Read
strict
Test::More
warnings
Advertisements

One thought on “Non-obvious fix to a dzil problem

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s