Another note to my future self on DBIx::Class

I’ve been writing a lot of javascript, and I really like node.js. I like lots of languages, but I find that node.js tends to work how I expect. That said, sometimes I need to use perl. Last week, after some searching and testing out libraries, I was generally dissatisfied with the node.js packages available for […]

Non-obvious fix to a dzil problem

Last Friday I decided to skip trying to use node.js to parse spreadsheet files and instead stick with my existing perl solution based on Spreadsheet::Read. Because the code was really old, I had no proper tests, so I just started over from scratch. Poking around Modern Perl 2014 I found a note about using dzil […]

A real-world use of PL/Perl

Last week I wrote a node.js program to parse and copy a CSV file into PostgreSQL. The data included several columns of detector data, and then a catch-all column called XML that was supposed to contain the raw read from the detector. The XML column was a big old ASCII escaped blob of text, and […]

More with the GDAL/OGR perl bindings

So my last post talked about my struggles to finally get something saved in the database using the native perl bindings into the GDAL/OGR library. Once I got that working and pushed out the post, I immediately started loading up multiple files and playing around with the data. One thing I noticed was that it […]

namespace::clean compile problem solved

I couldn’t get namespace::clean to compile and install properly on one of my servers. It was a clean Perl 5.10.1 install, so I couldn’t really see what the problem was. But just to be safe I really really cleaned out perl, reinstalled, and then ran Gentoo’s perl cleaner utility, ran a revdep-rebuild, etc etc. Then […]